Here is a letter to café owners / managers I have found quite effective. Do adapt as appropriate:
I would love to come and spend a day at your café as a Writer in Residence.
OUT A BIT ABOUT YOURSELF HERE
The Creative Café Project which includes the publication of an e-zine and anthology CafeLit- short stories to read while you enjoy a brew. Each story is linked to a particular drink.
The Creative Café Project is all about finding cafes like yours that support the arts and provide a space where creative practitioners and their audiences can be in touch.
During my day I would:
· Occupy one of your tables for most of your opening hours
· Buy three snacks / meals
o Breakfast / mid-morning snack
o Afternoon snack
· Sell some of my books – they could go through your till at rrp or a little less and I can invoice you back after the visit at 35% discount. Win win? Or I can sell directly or not at all if it is awkward. (I’ll bring postcards anyway)
· Sit and write
· Offer one-to-one critique or advice about writing / publishing sessions – this will bring you some more customers as part of the deal is that writers get a free critique only if they purchase something from the café.
· Collect stories for a possible Horsnea anthology
· Invite customers to write bursts of flash fiction. Leaflets on the tables will offer this to people and prompt them through the process – they can deposit their efforts with me if they are brave enough
Before the event I would:
o Advertise via social media
o Design leaflets that can be printed and displayed on line
After the event I would:
o Write a review of your café. I only ever give good reviews because if I can’t give a good review I don’t review. However, to date, I’ve never had cause not to review!
o Pull together stories and examples of flash fiction and see if we have enough to work on an anthology or whether we might work further on this.
o Arrange another similar event if we felt that this one was successful
What I need you to do:
o Agree to me coming and allow me my table for the day
o Consider whether you’re happy for me to sell any of my books or not
o Let people know I’m coming
Note the Creative Café Project never charges cafés or creative practitioners for being involved and both may be as involved as much or a little as they like.
Is this of interest to you?
I’d love to come and work with you.